If you have recently suffered an offence that has affected your physical, psychological or sexual integrity, the priority is to take care of yourself, both physically and psychologically, and to reach safety.
Here are the first steps you can take:
- Get the police involved (call 117)
- Ask for help from your family and friends and/or from professionals
- Have a medical report/sexual assault report drawn up
- Preserve evidence
- Report the facts, file a complaint
- Reinforce security measures (i.e. change keylocks if needed, be accompanied when moving around, etc.).
- Take shelter (at a neighbor’s house, a friend’s house, a shelter, etc.).
- Do not stay alone
In Switzerland, spouses are allowed to refuse to live in the same household as long as their personality, material security or family property are seriously threatened.
Similarly, the police can issue removal orders against the perpetrators of violence, i.e. prohibiting them from entering certain places and/or from approaching one or several person(s).
Do not hesitate to consult the LAVI Center or any of the institutions listed in our publications. We will keep strict confidentiality regarding your request.
Consult our information leaflets.
All our detailed information leaflets are available here.